As people get older, their dietary necessities and habits significantly change. Well, the same goes for dogs. A young puppy needs some growth supporting food, while the older dog needs a proper diet that will enable them comfort in their senior years.
When is a dog considered senior?
This is an interesting question and it depends on the breed you have and the body weight of your dog. A small dog is more resistant to ageing, while the ageing process is more pronounced and more easily noticeable in the large dog breeds.
A common veterinarys recommendation for the age and seniority of dogs: small dog breeds tend to live 15 to 20 years, while large dog breeds usually live 10 to 12 years. This means that the larger dog breeds are considered senior at approximately six or seven years of age, while the smaller dog breeds are considered senior at an age about nine or ten.
When should you start feeding your dog senior dog food?
It is normal for the ageing dog to start losing its appetite, even by a small amount. The reducing in the appetite may be just from old age, or some more pressing health issues that need to be addressed accordingly.
The nutritional needs of the senior dogs need to be balanced with their energy requirements.
You should not feed your senior dog food rich in calories as the senior dog uses less energy and this kind of feeding can easily cause overweightedness and obesity. This may cause some detrimental effects on the health of the dog.
That is why you need to use a well-balanced dog food for your senior dog. We have made an effort and looked over the available products on the market and below we made a suggestion of three products by three brands that have especially aimed their products at the nutritional needs of the senior canine.
BLUE Freedom Grain-Free Chicken Senior Dry Dog Food
The BLUE Freedom company has made this recipe especially for the ageing buddies that need special care. They have paid special attention to the dietary needs of the senior dog along with eliminating the possible allergens that may cause some health issues.
Read on for the main features of the BLUE Freedom Grain-Free Chicken Senior Dry Dog Food.
- Protein-rich food that contains deboned chicken
- No gluten-containing grains
- No chicken by-products
- Does not contain artificial colourings
- Does not contain added flavours or preservatives
There are some great benefits of feeding your senior dog specially prepared food for their nutritional needs:
- Energy for the active dog
- Healthy immune system from the vitamins and minerals
- Muscle maintenance from the protein-rich chicken meat
- Included fatty acids help the health and beauty of the fur
- Helps keeping heart, eyes and brain health
- Healthy joints from the added amino sugars that enable more mobility in the senior dogs
Like all products, this has some negative sides like:
- Some dogs may have issues with dry food, so this may not be suitable for them
NUTRO Grain-free Natural Dry Dog Food for Senior Dogs
The NUTRO brand has made some nice recipes for senior dogs, paying extra attention to the ingredients and the nutritional needs of the ageing furry friends.
Some of the ingredients include dried vegetables like potatoes, lentils, peas, chickpeas, many other healthy oils, fruits and seeds. Here are the main features of this product:
- Farm-raised chicken meat
- Easy to digest with unique blend of fruit and vegetables
- Made in USA facilities
- Contains GMO-free ingredients
- No artificial flavours colouring or preservatives
- No allergy-inducing grains and gluten, or meat by-products
The NUTRO Grain-free Natural Dry Dog Food for Senior Dogs comes with some nice pros that help your senior dog keep healthy and happy:
- Protein is the main ingredient, helping the muscles and joints of a senior dog
- Dog food rich with nutrients
- All natural ingredients
- Balanced diet for the senior dogs, with chicken meat, fruit and vegetables
- Added essential fatty acids make the dogs fur shine
There are no products without cons, and here are the cons we found on this product:
- Some breeds may find it difficult to digest
AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal Formula for Adult Dogs
This is a formula specially created to cater the dietary needs of the ageing dogs. The AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal Formula for Adult Dogs does not contain wheat, corn or grain, but it does contain lamb meat, dried fruits and vegetables, oils and seeds, and some important vitamins and minerals.
Here are the main features of this senior dog food:
- Balanced nutrition for the senior dog
- Natural ingredients for promoting the health of the dog
- Does not contain allergens, no corn, wheat or soy
- No meat by-products or artificial colours, preservatives or flavours
- Enough vitamins and minerals for a healthy senior dog
The AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal Formula for Adult Dogs offers some nice pros for the adult dog, like the following:
- Promotion of healthy joints from the premium proteins
- Healthy immune system via the antioxidant ingredients
- Shiny and rich fur from the included oils
- Healthy balanced diet with enough fatty acids
However, there are some cons related to this product:
- Some dog breeds may develop skin itches
The ageing dog has some different food needs that the young puppy. This means that if you own a dog that is reaching seniority (via a vet prescribed standards related to different dog breeds and sizes), then you should be careful about what you feed them and opt for the specially prepared senior dog foods.
We have made a roundup of three senior dog foods. The BLUE Freedom Grain-Free Chicken Senior Dry Dog Food, the NUTRO Grain-free Natural Dry Dog Food for Senior Dogs and the AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal Formula for Adult Dogs are three good choices that will promote the health and happiness of mans best senior friend.