There are a number of issues that can appear as your dog gets older and they all vary on the breed of the dog. Larger dogs such as the golden retriever can suffer from hip dysplasia as they get older, smaller breeds such as the bulldog tend to suffer from breathing problems.
Both of these issues will happen eventually but don’t fret about it too much as they can be prevented with proper care.
Giving your dog a healthy diet should be a priority the moment they are able to eat solid food. But what should you do once they’ve become mature adults?
The thing you can do at that moment is to feed them with the best dry dog food for senior dogs. Most of these dog food types are specialized only for mature adult dogs, we will review some of the best products in the next section.
IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Senior and Mature Adult Dry Dog Food
IAMS Proactive Health can be considered as one of the best dry dog food for senior dogs. The best thing about it is that it stays completely natural.
It means that there is no soy, wheat or any fillers contained in the recipe of this dog food. It also keeps moderate levels of protein so that it maintains its targeted audience, mature adult dogs.
- Comes in a wide variety of packaging options
- The dry dog food is made completely out of dry chicken
- Contains beta carotene and Vitamin E as its main antioxidants
- There are essential minerals as well included that help maintain strong bones
- Has absolutely no wheat, fillers, soy or anything artificial
- Contains a balanced amount of protein for a mature adult dog
- Budget friendly in all package options
- There are no reported problems of dogs not wanting to eat the food
- The additional vitamins and minerals help your dog get an even healthier diet
- Although it is marketed as having real chicken, it is categorized as a chicken by-product
- Some users complained that they had to change to a different model from time to time
- Since it’s focused on mature adult dogs it should contain more fiber
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food – Sweet Potato & Fish Formula
By having a small number of main ingredients, you can make your dog’s diet healthier with Natural Balance’s Limited ingredient dog food.
The most bought package comes in a single 25-pound bag and it offers a balanced and nutritional-friendly diet for adult dogs. The food is made out of Sweet Potato and Fish, it contains no artificial ingredients.
- Has no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Comes in multiple packaging options
- Contains a limited number of ingredients for a healthier diet
- Food is a combination sweet potato and fish
- Has a balanced amount of protein and carbohydrates
- A positive side of it is that it contains no grain
- There are no artificial ingredients added to the dog food
- Has balanced nutritional values for dogs of all ages
- Contains only simple ingredients for a healthier diet
- The dog food emits a smelly odor
- Some customers complained that their dogs got gas problems
- We don’t recommend it if your dog has any allergies
Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Recipe Dry Dog Food
If you want a product where options aren’t limited when it comes to ingredients, then Merrick’s Whole Earth Farms is a good option for your senior dog. You can choose from four different combinations of ingredients as well as three packaging options. It’s made in the USA and contains only natural and nutritious ingredients.
- Offered in up to four combinations of different ingredients
- Available with: Chicken & Turkey, Pork, Beef & Lamb, Salmon & Whitefish, Turkey & Duck
- Comes in 4-pound, 12-pound, and 25-pound packages
- Contains natural products at a value price
- Contains no corn, soy, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Contains only natural products
- Multiple options available with different food combinations
- Contains nothing deemed as artificial
- Great option if your dog has skin allergies
- No reports present of dogs not wanting to eat the food
- Some customers complained that the quality of this product diminished over time
- Severe itchiness and shedding might occur
- Some owners said that they needed to change the food or combine it after a few weeks
As all three of these products are specially targeted towards senior dogs, it might be difficult to for you to decide which the best one is. They all offer natural ingredients that come with several vitamins and minerals as well, in packaging forms which were budget friendly.
But there are some negative sides which might make the other models stand out more. The main problem about Whole Earth and Natural Balance is that their ingredients may trigger allergies for some dogs.
This can turn into a big problem and eventually into a deal breaker.
Natural balance might offer benefits of having a minimal number of ingredients and Whole Earth might be good because of its numerous food combinations, but in the end, if your dog is allergic to the food then there is no point in buying it.
This is why we recommend IAMS as the best dry dog food for senior dogs out of these three products. It is marketed especially as dog food for mature adults and it has a small price as well. Most importantly, no users reported any allergies.
Making sure that your dog gets high-quality food as he gets older is one of the most important things that you should take care of. This task is not as easy as it seems. There are some problems reported in some of the products. The main problem is the allergies as they are the most reported one.
That’s why you should take special care when looking for the best dry dog food for senior dogs. Make sure that all ingredients are natural and that the amount of protein is balanced.
All of the products we reviewed are good enough for your senior dog, but we recommend the IAMS Proactive because it contains nothing that can trigger an allergic reaction. Make a smart choice and give your dog a longer life.